Monday, April 25, 2011

DISABLED SPORTS WARRIOR SPIRIT AWARD

I was privileged to spend the week with the Wounded Warriors during our Ability Celebration and I saw first hand the healing and the growth both physically and mentally that your support makes happen. Most of the Wounded Warriors who attend our events are still on active duty and still in the military hospital. The doctors and rehabilitation staff view participation in our sports rehabilitation camps as an important part of the rehab process.

I was deeply touched at the Bash when I gave Trey the Warrior Spirit Award for his determination to adapt and overcome. He lost a leg to a rocket propelled grenadea a few months ago and nearly lost both legs. His other wounds hadn’t healed enough for him to try a prosthesis yet so he was in a wheelchair

With us he learned to monoski, and it was truly a miracle on the mountain. He told me that his mom cried when he called her to tell her he had skied. I thought he would make a short, eloquent speech when I gave him the award. He cried. Couldn’t talk. His fiancé said, "He never cries."

Those were tears of joy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment